About the Sandwich Historical Society (SHS)

In 1907 the Sandwich Historical Society was incorporated to support and foster the collection and preservation of historical material regarding the Town of Sandwich.

In 1925, 37 years after the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company closed its doors, the Sandwich Historical Society had its first glass exhibit, commemorating a century of Sandwich glass.

From 1935 to 1948, under President James W. Freeman, the society implemented a more systematic effort to acquire glass through gifts and purchases. It was during this period that the Historical Society's museum became known as “The Sandwich Glass Museum”.

Today, the Sandwich Historical Society continues to curate and collect artifacts from the Town's Victorian heyday and has committed to improving research access to its extensive archives and collection.